Thread: Attention-Deficit Drugs Face New Campus Rules

Default Attention-Deficit Drugs Face New Campus Rules

FRESNO, Calif. Lisa Beach endured two months of testing and paperwork before the student health office at her college approved a diagnosis of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder. Then, to get a prescription for Vyvanse, a standard treatment for A.D.H.D., she had to sign a formal contract promising to submit to drug testing, to see a mental health professional every month and to not share the pills.

As much as it stunk, its nice to know, O.K., this is legit,' said Ms. Beach, a senior at California State University, Fresno. The rigorous process, she added, has deterred some peers from using the student health office to obtain A.D.H.D. medications, stimulants long abused on college campuses. I tell them it takes a couple months, Ms. Beach said, and theyre like, Oh, never mind.

Fresno State is one of dozens of colleges tightening the rules on the diagnosis of A.D.H.D. and the subsequent prescription of amphetamine-based medications like Vyvanse and Adderall. Some schools are reconsidering how their student health offices handle A.D.H.D., and even if they should at all.

For more information please visit http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/01/us...=tw-share&_r=0

Nicely presented information in this article, I prefer to read this kind of stuff.In my opinion, changes like these, all in the name of protecting the health of students both with and without attention deficits, involve legal considerations as well.

PharmD Candidate

I think that while these drugs are excellent for increasing brain attention and function span they can be very harmful when used irresponsibly. On the other hand if we control people from getting medications then all we end up doing is moving the need to the black market. Individuals will use coke, street speed, or purchase pills from their friends.
    Last edited by Salini Srivastava; Tue 5th November '13 at 6:27pm.

Pre-pharmD Year 1

People who can focus only on things that interest them, and disregard less interesting things, are often faced with additional problems such as an academic underachievement, lack of social skills, disorganization, or difficulty completing important tasks. Several students maintained that those efforts were futile, partly because they distribute pills themselves.