Thread: A pharmacoeconomics CBA I cannot understand

Post A pharmacoeconomics CBA I cannot understand

Recent days I read some references of the chapter 1 of pharmacotherapy 8 edition. In one titled “Cost Benefit Analysis of Pharmaceutical Care in a Medicaid Population – From a Budgetary Perspective” a issue I can not understand.

I attach the PDF file of this article in the attachment. On Page of 306 the direct benefit equation is described below. Sorry for taking up your time.

A pharmacoeconomics CBA I cannot understand-research_v3_303-308-jpg

Honestly I don’t quite understand this equation. Why dose the direct benefit equal [(Wd - Wc) – (Wb – Wa)]? Not understand this point.

To read the whole article please download this PDF file here: research_v3_303-308.pdf.

Pre-pharmD Year 1

I would like to thanks for discuss this. Generally pharmacoeconomics refers to the scientific discipline that compares the worth of pharmaceutical drug or drug therapy to another and it is a sub-discipline of health economics.Now a pharmacoeconomic study evaluates the cost (expressed in financial terms) & effects (expressed in terms of financial value, efficacy or enhanced quality of life) of a pharmaceutical product. There's several types of pharmacoeconomic evaluation like cost-minimization analysis, cost-benefit analysis, cost-effectiveness analysis & cost-utility analysis.